Monday 25 January 2010

Applying for job in the 21st century

Things are definitely not the same than in the past. Today, seeking and applying for jobs is done mainly in the Internet. For a job seeker like me, it means that I have to visit several websites where they post the ads for vacancies. Some of them include lots of same ads, since companies want maximum visibility and do not want to miss potential employees because they didn't use the portal that the company uses. Basically you keep seeing the same stuff again and again with some different postings in the middle.

Quite so often the actual application happens in online portal. Which sucks to be honest. Usually it means entering the same basic information again and again in the form where they are then uploaded to their HR system. They want to know your name, address, contact information, work experience, language skills, education etc. It is really frustrating to input the same stuff that you have in your CV. On top of that, many companies want also your CV as an attachment. Yeah, so what is the point of typing in all the information then to these forms?

As if that isn't bad enough, today I experienced something totally new. After putting in all the required information and answering questions like "are you from UK? What about Canada?", writing a cover letter, copy&pasting my CV as well as attaching it, I had to do series of tests(!) to ensure my application is submitted. First, I needed to answer sixtysomething questions, which tried to get an image of how I work in a group, what is my background, how do I deal with deadlines and ideas and so on. That test took 30 minutes to complete. After that came another one, reasoning test which required me to choose a correct alternative to series of visual problems. You know, the kind that for example Mensa uses.

On some level I can understand these tests. It is a way for the company to profile the people and cut off unsuited people from their selection process. But for an applicant point of view that is really annoying! It took about 2 hours for me to apply to this ONE position! I consider it to be a bit of a long shot anyways so to waste that much time on this is really frustrating. When I began to apply there, the website didn't say anything about these tests. If I'd known, I guess I would not have applied....

So all in all, I just wish it would be easier. Just write a cover letter and CV, send them via email and then wait for response. In the current situation you just throw a rock and hope it reaches its target.