Thursday 14 January 2010

New Years in St.Pete

I have felt a bit lazy recently, when it comes to writing to my blog. About 1.5 weeks of traveling has taken its toll I guess. Or then I am just lazy.

I went to St.Pete after Christmas to have a paaaartyyy. Of course, it being me the ride there wasn't without problems. I went to Lappeenranta by train and from there my friend picked me up and we went together to Vainikkala to catch our train. Or that was the plan. When we reached Vainikkala, it became evident that they don't actually sell tickets in that station! How is that even possible??!?!? I should have bought a ticket from Lappeenranta if I wanted to get in that train. Oh well, L went to Piter by himself and I went back to Lappeenranta. Luckily I have some relatives there who were nice enough to give me a place to sleep and a ride to Vainikkala the next morning with the ticket. Finally, on 31st I managed to cross the border and reach St.Pete.

So remember, they do not sell tickets at Vainikkala!

After arriving to Piter in the afternoon, I took my stuff to the lovely (khmmm.) dorm before attacking the city. Or actually E's place where there was a group of 6 Finns eating together before the party. Thanks E for the blinis and tomato soup, especially the soup was perfect!

The actual party was in a club called Ludovic at Dumskaya. I had never been there before so it was a new experience. It was like a normal night club in Finland - several rooms with a bit different kind of music. But the place wasn't the party piece of the night, it was the company. One of the Norwegian exchange students had arranged the party for us, which was very nice of him. We had something small to eat and also loads of alcohol to drink. And of course about 80 of us exchange students and our friends. Some intensive man hugging and "you rock man", "thanks for everything this semester"-stuff and goodbyes. Some idiotic pictures, idiotic people etc. The normal stuff. Not the best party ever, definitely not but nevertheless a good one.

Unfortunately I didn't actually see that much what was happening outside of the club, so I can't say was there something way different happening in the streets. Well, E wrote something about that, check it out.